Friday, February 19, 2010

Who do you think you are?


“We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.”
The Dharmapada

As advanced as our science becomes and as far as we have come spiritually, we still do not believe that we create our own existence. Many of us will admit that we create our current circumstances, while others will admit that our perception of reality is the only reality we really know. But who among us has come to totally believe that our thoughts actually create the world?

Duality is what keeps us from seeing this clearly, there is me and there is what is not me. I am a product of circumstances beyond my control. These thoughts are all generations of the dualistic mind, the mind that does not recognize the perceived and perceiver as one. Our eyes and my eyes are one and the same, yet to nearly all, the world something we see outside of us.

Who do you think you are?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right. Are you saying that my thoughts create the world, in that if a meteorite plunged through my roof and straight through my brain right now (no danger of that - nothing exciting ever happens in Kidlington!)thus extinguishing my thoughts, then the world would cease to exist? Or just cease to exist for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a young man, my friends and I used to drink a lot. We used to joke about how many brain cells we were killing every time we got drunk (as was the rumor at the time). There were times when I was suffering through the frequent resultant hangovers, that I would wonder if my dying brain cells ever knew what hit them.

    As for meteorites striking you in the head and affecting the existence of the world; I am pretty sure that from your perspective, you wouldn’t know the difference. ;-)

    ReplyDelete